Master photographer Harold Davis is well-known for his often imitated—but seldom equaled—digital images of luscious transparent and translucent flowers.
In this unique, 5-day workshop offering, Harold Davis shows the techniques he pioneered to create his floral masterpieces. Arrangement, composition, photography, and post-production will all be covered, as will Harold's special techniques for
shooting on a light box. In addition, several sessions will explore field floral photography, and alternative techniques related to the studio photography of flowers. Harold will also show his spectacular botanical prints in the context of a discussion of the best way to create prints of floral imagery.
Don’t miss this rare opportunity to enhance your floral photography by learning from Harold Davis, the best-selling author of award-winning Photographing Flowers: Exploring Macro Worlds with Harold Davis.
Topics covered in this workshop will include:
- Understanding transparency and translucency
- Introduction to floral arrangement and composition
- Botanical art in the digital era
- Shooting florals in the field
- Creative field techniques
- Best practices in macro photography
- Shooting flowers on a dark background
- Shooting on a light box
- Understanding high-key post-production
- Working with Photoshop layers
- High-key HDR
- LAB color effects
- Backgrounds and textures
- Preparing to make floral pigment prints
- Tips & techniques from Harold Davis
- Implementing one’s own vision
Workshop participants will be given the opportunity to compose, photograph and post-process their own transparent floral images from beginning-to-end during the workshop. Field and studio sessions will demonstrate creative techniques across the gamut of different kinds of flower photography, and allow plenty of time for individual image making. The emphasis of this workshop will be to support each participant, enabling their own unique vision and helping them to become the best flower photographer they can be.